Archive for the 'Fall 2011' Category

Online Giving Option Available

Did you know that you can make an investment in BRCC online?  If you value what BRCC provides to our community, and want to help make a difference for students today, it’s as simple as going to the BRCC Educational Foundation’s homepage at www.brcc.edu/edfound, and clicking on the “Donate Now” button!

2011 Virginia Hunger Symposium

BRCC is once again partnering with the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank to raise awareness and support for the Food Bank by hosting the 2011 Virginia Hunger Symposium on October 24-27, 2011.  The Virginia Hunger Symposium is a partnership between the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank Network and Blue Ridge Community College.  The hunger education […]

A Great Way to Help Our Community at a Time of Need

Looking for a way to get the most out of funds in your IRA? For the rest of 2011, persons over age 70 may make tax-free withdrawals up to $100,000 from their IRAs for contribution to Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation.  This gift will avoid income tax usually levied on withdrawals from your IRA, […]

Meet our New Foundation Board Members

John S. Barret Jr. John Barret is the VP of Finance & Systems, CFO and Corporate Secretary at the Rockingham Group.  Prior to joining Rockingham Group he worked in banking and was the CFO of Bank of America’s retail credit card business.  He holds a BBA from JMU and a MS-Finance from VCU.  He has […]

BRCC Alumni Project

Community college alumni are unique in that their educational goals and time spent at BRCC may differ from four-year school graduates.  For many, attending BRCC is the stepping stone before transferring to a four-year institution where they will achieve their bachelor’s degree.  For others, BRCC provides a convenient opportunity to complete a course that will […]

BRCC Alumni Profile: Valorie Kier-Johnson

Perseverance is a potent word to recent BRCC graduate Valorie Kier-Johnson. She began taking classes in the fall of 2005 and became actively involved in campus organizations such as the SPECTRUM Multi-Cultural Club. “I was really enjoying my classes,” Valorie said. “I hadn’t really joined any clubs in high school, so I was doing something […]

BRCC Named a 2011 Great College to Work For

Results of The Chronicle of Higher Education’s 2011 survey of “Great Colleges to Work For” were recently released, and Blue Ridge Community College was once again recognized as a “Great College to Work For” in 10 of the 12 two-year college categories.  As a result of achieving this designation in so many different areas, BRCC […]

Message from the President

Occasionally a student will say something to me that reminds me of my great fortune, having chosen a profession that profoundly changes lives.   Such was the case when a young woman approached me recently during our new student orientation event on campus.  Ironically, she was not a new student.  She was at the orientation because […]