Archive for the 'Spring 2010' Category

BRCC SIFE Travels to Haiti to Continue Rabbit Cooperative

BRCC students Mike Aronoff and Megan Samples, along with faculty member Rebecca Evans and Veterinary Technology staff member Gail Foley, traveled to Haiti in January. They planned to help 20 new families start-up rabbit production businesses, and to distribute donations they brought with them to children attending the school in Riverie Froide. After arriving in […]

Legislative Visit

A group of BRCC students traveled to Richmond in January to thank local legislators for their support of the College and to encourage their continued commitment to higher education in the Commonwealth, especially in these challenging economic times.

Dr. Perkins-Chamber’s Business Person of the Year

The Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce held its 93rd Annual Banquet and Awards Ceremony in January. Dr. James Perkins, former President of Blue Ridge Community College, was recognized as the Chamber’s Business Person of the Year. Dr. Perkins served as BRCC’s President for more than 20 years and worked tirelessly to build programs, services, partnerships, and […]

Education Symbolized Hope for Haiti

As widely covered by local and national media, two BRCC students and two BRCC employees traveled to Haiti in January. This was the third trip to Haiti for BRCC Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE). Home base for this trip was a convent guest house in Riverie Froide, also home to a school that over 1,000 […]

William J. Elliott Named Director Emeritus

Staunton resident and businessman, William J. Elliott, was named Director Emeritus of the Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation. Mr. Elliott was recognized for his years of service on the Foundation Board (2002-2008), and his generosity and commitment to the BRCC Educational Foundation.

Opportunity for Family Involvement with Charitable Giving

My family has always given generously, especially to local non-profits. After my dad died in 1992 I helped my mom review her investments and decide how to plan her estate. We ended up with two charitable trusts, one a charitable remainder unitrust (CRUT) and the other a charitable lead trust (CLT). Both of these trusts […]

Over $150,000 in Scholarships Awarded

Thanks to your support and generosity, the BRCC Educational Foundation has awarded over $150,000 in scholarships to deserving students during the 2009-10 academic year. Scholarship funds often make a critical difference in a student’s ability to meet their educational goals. Unfortunately, students have shouldered much of the burden of making up for state funding shortfalls […]