The Student Recreation and Fitness Center has been open for a little while now and is being enjoyed by the BRCC community. If you haven’t had a chance to stop by yet, hopefully you can get there soon. There is almost always a basketball game going on, as well as games of pool and miles being logged on treadmills and the track.
As the semester is winding down, wish everyone well on their exams. Registration is going on now- if you haven’t already, make sure to get registered soon for Spring!
There are lots of exciting things happening around campus this week as part of the 7th Annual Virginia Hunger Symposium which collects food and funds for the Blue Ridge Area Foodbank while raising awareness of hunger issues in the Valley and beyond. Join us for the “Farm to Table” presentation on Tuesday, October 22 at 11 a.m. (in D109) followed by a grilled chicken salad lunch ($5 minimum donation, $3 with student id) in the Plecker Workforce Center 12 noon- 2.p.m.
Embarking on the reaffirmation of accreditation process with the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges-Commission on Colleges!
The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges-Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC) is the accreditation body for Blue Ridge Community College.
Here are the steps that Blue Ridge Community College is about to embark on in the SACS-COC review process:
- First, we must complete a comprehensive report providing proof of compliance across approximately 80 specific standards and federal requirements. The College must also present a detailed description of a proposed Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) for consideration. This is the stage we are working feverishly on now at Blue Ridge Community College. Our QEP topic is “Personal Responsibility.”
- Sometime in March 2014 we will submit the report documenting our compliance with the approximately 80 standards. An “Off-Site” team will review that document sometime in May 2014. The off-site team will determine areas of non-compliance, if any. I have been told that about 97% of colleges receive at least one issue of non-compliance at this stage. Most receive about five or ten.
- After the off-site visit, BRCC will be told which standards, if any, we are not compliant with. We will then be given a chance to submit a “Focused Report,” in response to this information. The focused report will contain more detailed information about the standards we were deemed to be non-compliant with.
- Approximately six to eight weeks before our scheduled on-site visit in late September, we will submit our focused report and our QEP. The report and the QEP will be given to the on-site review team to examine.
- In late September 2014 a team of individuals from other community colleges will arrive on campus to closely examine the standards we were deemed non-compliant with, along with the QEP.
- After the on-site team provides us with their report, we will have one last chance to respond to any issues raised about either compliance standards or the QEP.
- Sometime in June 2014, the Commission will vote as to whether to re-affirm our accreditation or sanction us in some way.
That’s the entire process for re-affirmation of accreditation. I want to thank the group of individuals who continue to spend countless hours helping prepare us for this process. It has been a team effort and their involvement has made the process much more enjoyable!
Let me know if you have any questions about SACS-COC or the accreditation process.
On Friday September 21st, the Blue Ridge Community College Educational Foundation hosted the annu
al President’s Luncheon at which we honor the donors who support the College with gifts of $1000 or more annually. At this year’s event we named both Debbie Metz and Dr. Jim Perkins as “Directors Emeritus” for their significant contributions to the Board of the Educational Foundation.
2010 BRCC graduate Lacey Derrow delivered a
compelling keynote address discussing the positive impact that her education at Blue Ridge Community College had on her employment and personal success. Thanks to everyone who supports the wonderful mission of Blue Ridge Community College!