The core mission of this scholarship program is to help promising, second-year, full-time students who attend any Virginia Community College pursue their academic goals and strengthen their leadership skills. In addition to receiving full tuition, the Fellows participate in a unique curriculum of activities designed to expand their community involvement and cultivate a strong foundation for a successful future.
Applicants must excel academically, exhibit exceptional leadership potential, participate in community service activities and demonstrate financial need. The applicant must be a legal resident of Virginia and plan to be enrolled for a full year. Six or seven students will be designated as Valley Proteins Fellows and they will receive an award of $5,000 to support tuition, books, fees and other expenses related to their educational goals.
In addition, if the Fellow successfully meets the program requirements during the academic year, he/she is eligible to apply for a summer stipend of $3,000 to support a 9-week work internship or community service project.
Recipients will be notified by June 1, 2015.
- Be currently enrolled full-time at a Virginia Community College with first year completed by end of spring semester 2015.
- Plan to be enrolled full-time for the full 2015-16 academic year with intent to transfer to a Virginia public or private college or university.
- Demonstrate evidence of academic excellence (GPA of 3.5), leadership potential, and personal integrity.
- Demonstrate evidence of community service or faith-based endeavors.
- Have unmet financial need as determined by an application that includes student and family income and student and family contributions to tuition, books and fees.
- Be nominated by a faculty member and endorsed by the president of the college or campus provost through a letter of recommendation.
- Be available to participate in an interview in Richmond on either May 18 or 19, 2015.
Deadline to apply: April 29, 2015