This program is designed for those students who cannot relocate for the on-campus program at the Weyers Cave location. It is designed for those individuals currently working in practices as veterinary assistants. Classes start every three years and take place using a live, two-way television connection.
- Have completed the SDV, ENG 111, CHM 110 and 3 other credits of curriculum requirements at the time of application (10 of the 16 credits). Alternately, applicants may be currently enrolled in these courses at the time of application with admission being contingent upon successful completion. Preference will be given to those who have completed all 16 credits of these curriculum requirements.
- Be employed at least 20 hours per week by a veterinarian willing to provide supervision and allow the student to practice the tasks taught in the various courses.
- Be committed to enrolling in all the courses for this program as they are offered.
The distance learning program has limited space and students will be selected on a competitive basis. An interview may be required.
The program is currently transmitted to these colleges using compressed video technology:
- Tidewater Community College – Virginia Beach campus
- Virginia Western Community College in Roanoke
- John Tyler Community College -Midlothian campus
- Germanna Community College – Locust Grove campus
Courses will be offered in sequence to allow a student who takes every course to finish in 9 semesters. Students graduate after 3 years. Classes meet twice weekly at the distance education site and students must come to the BRCC campus three times per semester for laboratories. Visit the Vet Tech Courses page for a list of courses.
Graduates of this program are eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE). BRCC distance education graduates have a 100% pass rate on the licensing exam.
BRCC’s Veterinary Technology Distance Education program is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Contact Catherine Rosenberg for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or download a Veterinary Technology application form – PDF (requires Acrobat Reader)